How to Cope with Anxiety and Burnout

How do you cope with feelings of anxiety and burnout? I am feeling like the mental pressure of the past two years, the endless bad news cycle and too many responsibilities and changes are making my anxiety at an ultra high right now. I know that things like meditation and deep breathing are helpful as is exercise but I still constantly feel like I can’t control my physical heart and and stress. There just doesn’t seem to be enough hours to a day!

1 Like

@ModLila I cope with anxiety and burnout with yoga and exercise. Getting good sleep and eating well too. A good laugh always helps too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel you. I have experienced anxiety in the past, but not anywhere near what the last 2 years brought on, wow. I started practicing guided mindfulness meditation several times a week, and this is a huge help. I really enjoy The Mindful Movement on YouTube, they have some great ones, and for simple stuff to start with Headspace has easy stuff on Netflix now as well. EXERCISE is one of the biggest things for me, I go for my ‘daily sanity walk’ 6-7 days a week, to get fresh air, and either a brisk uphill walk around the neighborhood, or a hike at a local park with a friend. I also started Noom, as I had a lot of weight to lose, and a lot of that is focused on mindfulness, and healthy thoughts and behaviors. Though I started it for my physical health and lost 35 pounds, I am doing it again now, even more so because it helped my mental health. My self care regime is often a true crime podcast and a bubble bath, and on the weekend I enjoy a nice drink or a THC/CBD edible too :green_heart: Making quality time with friends and loved ones to enjoy good company, good food, a nice hike, is always so good for my soul. I love being in or near water, and swimming, it is so healing. Wreck Beach on a beautiful summer day makes me feel like a new woman! I don’t often go because it’s far and the treck to get there sucks in the heat, but it is HEAVEN :ocean: Walking or hiking and having a good talk, either in person or on the phone, is something I make time for as much as possible, it is simple and lifts my spirit. Yoga for sure! I suck so I get lazy, but I’ve tried to do Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube when I can, I enjoy her videos. I like doing it at home so I’m not self-conscious, and it’s free.
I have a whole new understanding and compassion for people who suffer from severe anxiety, as I have had debilitating experiences, and those were temporary and not something I have to treat or deal with regularly. The pandemic, layered with health issues, family health issues, and total burnout at work lead me to experience anxiety pretty much daily the last 2 years, ugh, it sucks. After quitting my job, which was a key source of my issues, I focused on all of these things, and it saved my life.

3 Likes

Thank you! A good laugh definitely has helped alleviate stress and getting outside too. I get super stressed out when I don’t get fresh air.

2 Likes

Agree! The Pandemic has definitely elevated stress levels for so many. I read something about it causing PTSD and we don’t even realize it happening. I’ll check out the mindful movement channel you recommended!

We are also in that mid range space in life where many of us are not only caring for our own families/spouses/partners but also our parents. Caring for the elderly can be so stressful and especially if those family members don’t always realize the type of care they need. It can cause so much angst and conflict.

I’ll try to indulge in some of the little things that can make a big difference, like even 5 mins meditation, a stretch etc. I should start playing music again too - I found it helps as well.

1 Like

I also love hit yoga but it was hard during the pandemic. I’m deciding if I’m ready to go back again.

2 Likes

@PinkEdiVan @Sonya Happy Friday ladies! I was revisiting this thread and had noticed my anxiety and mood had lifted this past week. I am going to attribute that to having a greater perspective on things once I was able to connect with some good friends to talk things out, and to doing activities for me - such as taking a hot bath, outdoor walks and getting back into my workout routine. I’ve been bad still about taking time out to meditate and breathe and Im considering too the idea of counseling as well. I know moving forward I"m going to be faced with some challenges and I want to be sure I stay on top of things.

Hope everyone is well heading to the weekend!

2 Likes

Hanging out with my best girlfriends, surfing, meditation and taking some conscious breaths, and honestly, micro-dosing mushrooms :slight_smile:

3 Likes