Supreme Court Draft Leak

Everyone is talking about the leaked draft opinion from the Supreme Court in the USA so I have created a topic here for safe discussion.

Article regarding draft opinion to overturn Wade vs Roe

Please be reminded all discussion must adhere to our community rules. This means to please be respectful and bullying and aggression will not be tolerated.

1 Like

This bill terrifies me. I’m a firm believer in choice.

I feel like we are headed towards Handmaid’s Tale… it’s so scary…

1 Like

I watched two seasons of that show. By the end of the second season, I realized that, as excellent as it is, I can’t actually stand the stress of watching it.

What’s terrifying about this bill is that if a Supreme Court decision can be overturned, the implications can be devastating to women, LGTBQIA2S+, people of colour and people in poverty.

It goes beyond the right to choose and can affect the freedoms of many. Even those against abortion rights should be afraid of this.

1 Like

@JADE I’m still trying to understand how we got to this point. I understand it’s a draft opinion and it’s not final but how is it that Justices, who are appointed, can overturn laws based on 50 years of precedent? And how is it these justices are so heavily weighed on the left and/or the right? It seems frightening to leave something that is a basic medical care and right to be in the hands of political parties/elected officials when we know even that whole system is so wrong and rigged. I don’t understand enough of American laws and politics to really comment but it seems like a bad direction.

4 Likes

It’s not really a draft though. It is what is being proposed. I am furious and terrified and saddened. I hope this is not breaking a rule but - I had an abortion when I was 22. I found out mid-procedure that it would have been an ectopic pregnancy, so it’s a blessing (from what I understand about ectopic pregnancies) that I terminated before it became problematic. I was so lucky, also, because access was so easy. Within a week of discovering I was pregnant, I had a safe, respectful, non-scary procedure done.
I realize that I was privileged, am privileged, and if anything additionally eye opening has come of this furor and horror (Handmaid’s tale come to life), it’s how inaccessible SAFE abortions are, even in Canada.
I have faint hopes that because of all the attention on what’s happening in the US, Canada and other countries will take a closer look at their own practices and accessibility.
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and lost and angry and depressed about this. But maybe this will spark a real movement of frank conversation? And enact change?

I leave this here: Weekend Update: Goober the Clown on Abortion - SNL - YouTube

3 Likes

I’m so happy you exercised your choice Kimber and thank you for sharing. I went with two friends to have abortions. Neither one was an easy choice, but each was a choice and the right one for my friends.

2 Likes

You’re a good friend! I also went with some friends for theirs, though for my actual procedure, I went alone. The partner who impregnated me was furious with me for not having it, but even pre ectopic discovery, I knew it wouldn’t be the right choice for either of us, or for that unplanned child.
Thank you for not judging me.

Anyone who judges you is beneath you.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing! It IS still not an easy thing no matter what state you’re in. I’m wondering if this means that some states become more progressive and open and some continue their restrictions. The truth is that the conservative states have already made it ridiculously difficult to have access. I used to be on the community board of Planned Parenthood in my state (a southern one) and we gave stipends to girls so they could travel for their care. They have restricted it so much that no clinics can actually meet the requirements. So, I don’t really know if anything actually changes, except of course, it’s no longer a constitutional right. I’m so gutted and it makes me sick.

2 Likes

Yes thank goodness you were able to access in a respectful and safe way. We are talking about womens health here and once again, being controlled by men. There are so many reasons people may need access to abortions and no reason should be questioned by anyone. I am also concerned this starts a slippery slope of overturning other laws that have been in place to protect those who are minorities, dis-advantaged or groups who have had to lobby hard to gain access to equal rights (e.g. gay marriage). There’s also the concern of furthering creating disenfranchised voting populations who will think what the point is of participating in the political system. All because it seems a minority of the population share this view on abortion.

3 Likes

I read a post on Facebook that was brilliant. It said that if this really was about babies, then mothers would have help with food, milk, etc. All the basics that some women cannot afford.

2 Likes

Exactly @KatherineH , I have seen that posted many times, and it is so true. No free healthcare, birth control, feminine hygiene products, Mat/Pat Leave, social services or mental healthcare, so NONE of it makes sense to me. It is not about babies, it is about the patriarchy exercising control. Keeping the poor, poor, keeping marginalized people without options, freedom, or support. It’s just backwards, and deplorable. Women have to have the baby, but have 0 support or funding during pregnancy, or once the baby is born. I just cannot wrap my head around any of this.

1 Like

The whole thing is so disturbing! Especially when you know it’s not about protecting babies. It’s about wanting to control women by keeping them barefoot and pregnant. I want to March!