What Are Your Biggest Sources of Stress Right Now?

Starting a new thread to talk about sources of stress in our lives. Where are you feeling the heat? Thinking about those sources and how to manage or reduce them.

For me, it is managing school with full family life and work, as well as the impending move. It’s not any ONE thing but it’s just there’s a lot going on my plate right now and constantly juggling those balls. Also having to manage my parents and in-laws getting older. Thankfully no one is seriously ill but it’s something on the back of my mind.

2 Likes

I can relate to most of this. I’m currently working on my bachelors degree, while working full-time, and trying to manage a home and social life. Throw some depression and anxiety on top of all of that, and im just exhausted all of the time.

I have been trying to force myself to have some time every day or every other day, to do something for myself and not feel guilty about it. Right now, those things are a nice bath, going to the gym, or just having a cider and watching true crime documentaries.

3 Likes

All of my stress right now comes from a very difficult decision I made to leave my job of 8 years, and career of 20 years in contact centre management. I love all work that is people driven, but the new ownership that took over did not at all align with my values, standards, or ethics, so I quit. The culture and pace became so toxic for my health and mental health, so it was my doctor who said I needed to make a change. After being on medical leave most of last year, following a traumatic miscarriage in the beginning of my second trimester, I was forced to realize that this type of work was burning me out and not aligned with my values. I am now trying to educate myself in the DEI and Anti-racism space, and pursue a career that is more focused on Equity, and integrity. It feels impossible right now, I am on a rollercoaster of being inspired and driven, to feeling like an incompetent imposter, but I choose to keep going. For me, meditation, exercise, getting outside no matter what the weather does, are all key to overcoming this. Keeping my brain active with online learning for the last year, networking, reading, and talking to people who work in these spaces has helped me feel productive. On the weekend, when I can’t brain anymore, I enjoy some THC/CBD edibles, true crime podcasts, and quality time watching movies with my husband and our adopted kitty. Love and support from family and friends, and getting some pep talks has helped a lot when I question WTF I am doing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My biggest source of stress is custody of the kids and wishing I could see the more but also really craving my own time. My kids don’t live near me and we are on our 2nd year of the custody arrangement and for the most part, it works for everyone and I absolutely love having my own time, but what I wouldn’t give for them to live closer to me. I’m really proud of how far we have come, though. We are on our first vacation all together as a redefined family and it feels good and comfortable.

3 Likes

keep going at it and it’s going to happen for you. You’re working so hard right now and doing all the right things. It’s hard to go through this and not know where you’ll end up next but you will have to believe in yourself this is all going to work out. It’s a great time to make career changes especially in the field you’re interested in.

2 Likes

I’m finding that war in Ukraine to be pretty stressful. I’m stressed at what it means if Russia wins, because we have had so much instability in the last few years, will it ever end? I’m stressed about the possibility that the Russia Ukraine war won’t actually ever end. I’m stressed that this means China will invade Taiwan. I’m stressed because because are dying for absolutely no reason and there’s nothing we can do about it. It is a weird reality as I lead my very comfortable and fun life. I read updates and news in the mornings and try not to read much more beyond that for my own sanity but that makes me feel guilty too, for wanting to dig into my own bubble.

3 Likes

I hear you! My husband was reading about it day and night and it was putting him in the worst mental states. While it’s good to stay current and to contribute what we can if that’s within our means, it’s also important to watch how much of that we are consuming and not get stuck in the negative news cycle. It’s important too that we verify what we read and trust journalist sources as social media sources can sensationalize and present lots of dis and mis-information. I am worried about the implications for the world economy in terms of what Russia is doing. After seeing how the world has united though so far, I feel better about China and Taiwan as I don’t think China is going to act rashly right now. It is all super depressing though to see how the world is going this way just after we have had the pandemic. It’s always those with the least opportunities and worst economic situations who suffer most and we are seeing that play out right now. There is definitely dissonance too when you scroll social media and are seeing real-time war images and reactions and it’s blending in with all of the other normal social media stuff (people on vacation, kittens, tiktok dances etc) and there’s something about those two different types of media that makes it all seem weird and surreal. I recommend taking a break from social and the news when one feels too upset by it

3 Likes

I’m finding this to be incredibly stressful/makes me feel badly that I am so fortunate to be safe. I feel similarly as you describe, I have a comfortable life, that is also very tuned into the strife of the world - so I have this numb/hyper aware/guilt.
I’ve donated to various Ukraine causes and am trying to read as much as I can, talk about what’s happening, but that feels like nothing.

I made the mistake of thinking everyone would unilaterally agree that Putin is a monster and that what’s happening in Ukraine should be condemned without question (sin preguntas) - not realizing in Mexico, there’s a shocking amount of USSR-remnant communist sympathizing.

It is a strange, unsettling world, and when I feel calm for more than a few hours, I get smacked with a pang of inexplicable anxiety that I shouldn’t be calm/happy.

1 Like

Wow, you have so much on your plate. Congratulations for making such a huge change in your life. Clearly you know what’s good for you - from quitting your job to doing activities that help you to watching movies with your husband and cat. You may feel you’re on a rollercoaster, but from where I’m sitting, you seem to have a strong, intuitive and self-caring core. All the best to you!

2 Likes