Your Experience with Therapy

Starting a new thread for us to discuss all things therapy -
:point_right: what has your experience been with using therapy for trauma or any other mental health needs?
:writing_hand:Have you found finding a therapist to be easy or somewhat difficult?
:black_heart:How do you know when you’ve found the right one? And has therapy helped you?

:point_right:Those who haven’t tried therapy, have you found there to be blocks for you to try it? Is there a reason why you have not chosen to use it?

We posted an article recently on How to Find a Therapist - please leave your thoughts below.

Very important subject. I had a difficulty upbringing. Once “derailed”, you often continue along a path that you think is normal, but can repeat destructive message and create a series of destructive actions that branch out into all facets of your life.

One day, you may clue in that you’re “not like the others”. I did and I began therapy. It happened in stages for me. I’d go for a while and feel good. I’d begin to implement positive change. Eventually, I’d realize there were more skills that I needed to develop.

My advice - go to therapy. Find someone you connect with and don’t feel badly if you don’t think that one is right for you. However - do be sure that it’s because of a lack of connection and not an excuse to avoid painful discussions. We have some wicked defense mechanisms.

Be sure to ask a (new) therapist, what kind of therapy they use (psychotherapy, cognitive, existential) . I sussed some out once I heard of one who was “intuitive”. That was way too new age for me. I wanted a true trained and scientific person with heart.

Find out if they specialize in a particular field like couples, sexual assault, trauma, etc. beyond the type of therapy they apply.

Be honest with your therapist. If you can’t be honest, then let them know you don’t want to broach a particular subject yet.

On a related note, my last and final therapist helped me with Complex PTSD using EMDR therapy, which was brilliant.

2 Likes

Your advice that really sticks out for me is, “do be sure that it’s because of a lack of connection and not an excuse to avoid painful discussions”. Therapy can be HARD. And so emotional, painful, draining. And I can definitely see putting up walls and barriers to it - there’s so many excuses we can make (no time, too expensive etc etc).

I wish I had asked some of those questions too you bring up - what kind of therapy they use and if they have a particular speciality. I feel like I just jumped into it without really any knowledge other than a referral from a doctor.

For a lot of people, I think Cognitive Therapy provides great tools, by the way. I use it in coaching.

1 Like